he county was created in 1845 from parts of Lewis and Kanawha counties and named for Virginia Governor Thomas Gilmer. In 1856 the western portion of the county was sectioned off to form Calhoun County.
Coal mining was once a huge business in the county, peaking in 1964. Today there is little mining in the area. Oil and gas is now a major source of income within the county.
Glenville is the county seat and is named for the valley or glen in which the community is located. The town is home to Glenville State College, a state-supported school with an enrollment of more than 2,000.
Source: The 55 West Virginias: A guide to the State's Counties, by E. Lee North, Published by The West Virginia University Press.
Land in square miles: 340
Number of people per square mile: 21.1