Grant County is located in the Eastern Panhandle of of West Virginian in an area that was once called the "Northern Neck" of Virginia.
During the Civil War, the area now known as Grant County was a borderland between the North and the South, The county was named by the West Virginia Legislature for Ulysses S. Grant when it created the county in 1866. The county is one of five in the state named for presidents.
Coal mining and timber have long been strong industries for the county.
Recreational areas include the Monongahela National Forest and the Smoke Hole Caverns.
Petersburg is the county seat and is named for Jacob Peters who operated a general store in the area in the 1700s.
Source: The 55 West Virginias: A guide to the State's Counties, by E. Lee North, Published by The West Virginia University Press.
Land in square miles: 477
Number of people per square mile: 23.7