Greebrier County is the second largest county in the state and was first settled around 1750. The county was formed from parts of Montgomery and Botetourt (Virginia) and named for the Greenbrier River.
The county is home to several mineral springs. Hotels were first built at both White and Blue Sulphur Springs in the early 1800s. The area became a popular gathering place for the elite of Southern society.
Northern troops burned the resort at Blue Sulphur during the Civil War. The area of White Sulphur Springs remains an internationally known resort and is home to the Greenbrier Hotel.
The Greenbrier Resort. ( Photo courtesy W.Va. Department of Tourism)
Coal and timber are two of the most popular industries in the county.
Lewisburg, first chartered in 1774, is named in honor of General Andrew Lewis, and is the county seat.
Source: The 55 West Virginias: A guide to the State's Counties, by E. Lee North, Published by The West Virginia University Press.
Land in square miles: 1,021
Number of people per square mile: 33.7