Located in the tip of the eastern panhandle of the state, Jefferson County was created from Berkeley County in 1801 and is named after the third president, Thomas Jefferson. The county is one of five in the state named for presidents.
Plantations farming thrived in the area prior to the Civil War. The war caused economic hardship to the area that took decades to recover from. The area saw little growth until the 1960s when businesses and people from the metropolitan area of
Washington D.C. began to locate there.
Harpers Ferry. ( Photo courtesy W.Va. Department of Tourism)
Charles Town, named form George Washington's brother is the county seat. The town is on land once owned by the brother.
Harpers Ferry, which is located at the confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers was the site of John Brown's raid in 1859.
Sheperdstown, one of the oldest towns in the state, was first settled around 1720 and is the home of Shepherd College.
Land in square miles: 210
Number of people per square mile: 201.4
Source: The 55 West Virginias: A guide to the State's Counties, by E. Lee North, Published by The West Virginia University Press.