Upshur County is located in the hilly central part of West Virginia.
The first settlers to the area were John and Samuel Pringle. The two were deserters from the English Army at Fort Pitt. They arrived in the Buckhannon River Valley in 1764 and lived in a huge hollow sycamore tree.
The county was formed in 1851 from parts of Lewis, Barbour, and Randolph counties and named for Abel Parker Upshur, secretary of state under President Tyler.
Rail lines were completed in the area around 1883 ,allowing both the timber and coal industries to grow.
For the most part the county has steadily grown since it was created in 1851.
The county seat is in Buckhannon, which was established in 1816. The town is named for Delaware Indian Chief Buck-on-go-ho-nan. It is also home to West Virginia Wesleyan College.
Land in square miles: 355
Number of people per square mile: 66
Source: The 55 West Virginias: A guide to the State's Counties, by E. Lee North, Published by The West Virginia University Pres